Just some kid from the Chicago suburbs that moved to the southwest, went to law school, and ended up confronted with shifting ideals. My thoughts...boring and unedited.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

the frustration of a dead soldier: Kevin Landeck in his own words...

The following is a column printed in today's Chicago Tribune by Eric Zorn as a follow-up to a previous column concerning Landeck's father's pain at the senseless death of his son.

`It's all about survival," wrote 1st Lt. Kevin C. Landeck to his father in an e-mail from Iraq last Oct. 28.

"So I am doing my damndest to get me and all my guys home alive, cause this nonsense ain't going to be solved by us."

Tuesday in this space we heard from his father, Richard Landeck, 56, of Wheaton. I published passages from the pained, angry letter he mailed to President Bush on Feb. 4, two days after learning that Kevin, 26, had been killed when shrapnel from a roadside bomb tore into the military vehicle he was riding in just south of Baghdad. Today we hear directly from Kevin Landeck, who was posthumously promoted to captain:

Oct. 29: "I talked with a commanding officer about going out at night and using our night vision to watch for bad guys who are planting roadside bombs and `introduce them to my little friend.' But I was denied permission.

"I don't understand why they wouldn't let me do that. When we drive down the road there are IEDs going off and bullets bouncing off our Humvees and it scares us. I thought, why should we be the ones who are scared?

"I wish they would let us do our jobs. I am looking forward to coming home in April for my two-week leave. I will only have four months left in this hellhole and then I can be home with Bethany [his wife], my dog and pizza. I will call you and mom in a couple of days. Don't worry about me. I am doing OK. Love, Kevin."

Nov. 3: "The higher-ups like to run the war with a map and a radio. I am the guy on the ground and out front, so I do what I think is right and whatever is going to bring everyone home safe. Anyway, I am just venting. Life gets frustrating here sometimes but I am glad I have my buddies and Bethany to help me cope. My hair is like two inches long on top so they call me `Red' or `Crazy Red.'

"It is pretty cool to say I have led men in combat but like I say, I just try to get everyone home."

Landeck was a brave man and a hero by any definition. He was also an ordinary guy--a son, a husband, a brother, a friend. And to meet him in these edited e-mails is to get a sense not so much of the hows and whys of the occupation of Iraq, but of all that's behind the 3224 American military fatalities.

Nov. 27: "Thanksgiving was relaxing. No patrols for us that day and we did have some pretty good food. Not like home, but it's better than nothing."

Dec. 24: "Dad, I'm fine. Just when you asked [on the phone] what me and the guys think about all that is going on, you opened up a can of worms. It's easier for me to vent, and you got the venting. I just keep on keeping on, and taking care of the guys. Don't worry about me, Dad. Like I said, I'm all right I'm just great at bitching. I'll call you guys on Christmas. Love, Kevin."

Dec. 31: "I'm frustrated. The military wants us to be policemen and not soldiers. I don't feel like we're fighting terrorists or terrorism here. I guess [the commanders] feel like we are replaceable. Keep Mom busy because I know she is worried about me but I'm fine and as long as I stay focused, things should be OK. Happy New Year and hoist a glass for me. Love, Kevin."

Jan. 19: "Dad, you asked what I thought about Bush's plan to send more troops to Baghdad ...well, he can send as many as he wants but it won't make a difference until the Iraqis step up to the plate. It also means more of us guys are going to get cut to shreds by the bad guys. I don't understand the thinking of Bush and Cheney and the other geniuses running this war. It is senseless. Take care and thanks for everything. Love, Kevin."

Thanks for everything indeed, Capt. Landeck.

Support the troops...bring them back to each of their own Bethany's alive and now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home